all images ©2017 brian burke photography
unauthorized use strictly prohibited

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Silver Linings

It has been a slow-motion week this week. We had a week of school being out due to snow and ice. I had a two-day trial (and the prep that goes with it), so I was not able to get out and shoot in the snow at places like Tanyard Creek and Ann Falls. But, thanks to a friend of ours who is a flower vendor, we have a bunch of flowers around the house, and so I decided to try my hand at off-camera lighting and black backgrounds. The setup is simple. I stuck the stem in Hadley's candy bowl (which is actually a champagne bucket) and set it on the corner of our kitchen table nearest the window (about 3 feet away). Then, I taped a piece of black posterboard on the window behind the flower. To camera right about 90 degrees is a Nikon SB-28 at 1/2 power fired into a reflective umbrella. To camera left at about 50-60 degrees is a Nikon SB-80DX at 1/16th power through a Stofen Omnibounce. The flashes are triggered by Cybersync radio triggers. I started at 1/200" and chimped until I got the light the way I wanted it. Exposure ended up being ISO 100, f/8 for 1/200" (lens was 70-300VR at 185mm). I shot a lot of trial shots before getting out the tripod. This is not the sharpest of the bunch, but I dig the lighting.

0 comments: