all images ©2017 brian burke photography
unauthorized use strictly prohibited

Monday, June 23, 2008

Old Body, New Shoes

After years months of hounding cajoling me to get back in shape, I think Julie finally pushed the right button. For Father's Day, she and Hadley got me a gift certificate to Rush Running Co., a new store in town owned and operated by Mike Rush and his wife, Allison (I think I have the names right, but I'm going from memory).

Like many places these days (golf stores being a good example), at Rush Running, you get custom fit for your shoe type. I am not a runner. But, I have owned running shoes, and I have long lamented how poorly they fit me and how my feet and legs ache after only a couple of hours. Turns out, not all running shoes are the same. The different types of support are for the different ways in which people's feet rotate during the stride. Mine happen to turn a little, so I need a mid-support shoe, something Mike immediately noticed on my test run through the parking lot.

Out come the shoes. Mike made me try different shoes on different feet and run through the parking lot to feel the difference. Ultimately, I chose the adidas Supernova Sequence (not to be confused with the adidas Supernova 7 worn by my foot-fitted wife--how sad we wear the same line of shoe!) and I have to say-WOW! What a difference.

Then I dutifully went on a run Saturday morning. Sunday, I was sore all over. Today it's raining, so I doubt I'll run. But at least I have a good excuse not to do so.

Update: It stopped raining, and I went for a late night run, equipped with better earphones for the Zen. I hate distance running, so music is a must, and headphones are, therefore, indispensable. Didn't do quite as much as Saturday, but worked on technique. My lungs are pissed.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

good for you... I posted a comment on flicker, but couldn't remember my user name so it came up annonymous (oops). I'll try to be better about reading this stuff! Hope the exercise is going well!