all images ©2017 brian burke photography
unauthorized use strictly prohibited

Friday, June 20, 2008

Alternative to eBay

I have been trying to keep my eyes open for cheap strobe flashes. I want to get a couple more (I have one) to really get going with some off-camera lighting. Prime candidates are Nikon's SB-28DX and SB-80. The SB-80 is a generation behind the current SB-600 and the SB-800, and the SB-28DX is (I think) two generations behind. It doesn't really matter for off-camera stuff though, as long as you can set it to manual and as long as you can easily sync it up (no worries here, because they both have PC sync ports).

With probable thanks to the Strobist movement, it's hard to find these on eBay without paying a premium. I've started looking on Craigslist. In doing this, I have located one of each of the above units for competitive prices. For example, an SB-28 went for $107.00 on eBay last night; the guy on Craigslist wants $100. He has one of each. Possible package deal.

0 comments: