all images ©2017 brian burke photography
unauthorized use strictly prohibited

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Off Duty


We got back from San Diego last night about 11:00. I haven't had time to really go through the pictures. I didn't take as many as I thought I would, but here's one that's indicative of having checked out for a while.

Shot in RAW format, double-processed (once for the sky, and once for the foreground) and combined in Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0 (using a layer mask from Grant's Tools).

3 comments:

Audra said...

Love. This. Picture.

That is all.

brian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
brian said...

Hey thanks Aud. You know, this photograph is SO about your post on liberation. We made an impromptu stop at the beach to let Hadley and Madeline (our niece) run around. It was cold and windy, and the surf was much rougher than depicted in the photograph. I grabbed the camera and shot some pictures of a nearby pier and tried to include the lifeguard hut. To be perfect, I'd have wanted my tripod and 2-stop ND grad filter. I had neither. But I just kinda got in the zone. It was a little surreal. I knew the only way I was going to get the shot was to shoot in RAW, meter off the sky, and then process the RAW file twice--once for the sky, pull the foreground layer over the sky layer, and mask it out. I had never done it before, but all of my studying made it reflexive. It was like one of those trial moments where you thought of some obscure thing that the other side might pull and you spent an inordinate amount of time working it out on the off chance it came up, and when it did, you knew exactly what to do without having to stop and think about it.

I'm going to submit this to Life Images for their fall issue. I have no expectations, but seems like a good place to submit.